Introduction to Single Sign-On
Single Sign-on (SSO) is only available for the premium and unlimited plans.
Single sign-on (SSO) is an authentication method which allows users to access multiple systems using one account. In Hyvor Talk, SSO can be used to allow users to use the plugin without having a Hyvor account but an account on publisher's website.
How does it work?
- First, the publisher creates a SSO ID which can be used in multiple sites.
- When loading Hyvor Talk, publishers let it know whether the user has logged in or not.
- If the user is logged in, publisher sends user information such as name, picture, etc.
- Then, Hyvor Talk will create a new SSO ID-specific profile for the received data.
- Each user is identified by an ID given by the publisher.
What is a SSO ID?
A publisher can create a SSO ID from the console. SSO ID is used to authenticate users. Use one SSO ID for one system. Only 20 SSO IDs can be created from one account. Publishers can use a SSO ID on any website they own.
For example, Bob has a website and uses Hyvor Talk premium plan. He needs distinct customizations for his blog and news pages. The best way to this is by registering two different websites on Hyvor Talk. Now, Bob needs to integrate SSO with Hyvor Talk. Thanks to account-specific SSO IDs, Bob can use the same SSO ID in both of his websites: so, same profiles for users.
Important: SSO profiles are SSO ID-specific. Make sure not to delete a using SSO ID.
What can SSO users do?
- Publish comments
- Edit their comments
- Delete their comments
- Vote comments
- Any other thing guest users can do.
Limitations for SSO users
- SSO users can't moderate websites. All the moderators should have a Hyvor Account to moderate comments.
- SSO users cannot access Hyvor Talk Home which is designed for Hyvor users to manage their comments, drafts, and email settings.
- SSO users cannot be mentioned via
The last two things will be possible soon. We are working on it.
Moderating SSO-enabled websites
When the user is logged in from both SSO and Hyvor
Usually moderators logs in with both accounts (maybe other users too). In this case, the user can choose what account to use to comment. The default is the SSO profile. However, moderators should use their Hyvor account when commenting and replying. The MOD tags are only shown for Hyvor accounts.